Search

The Tale of Taralga's Train line

Believe it or not, Taralga had it's own train station/line from 1925 to 1957.

In the 1880s, there was increasing talk of the need of a train line that went from Goulburn to Taralga. The roads were bad at the best of times and during wet times, were almost impassable. A resolution was passed that considering the importance of the Taralga District, a connection to the Great Southern Railway was urgently needed.

On 28 September, 1882 an understanding was given by the Minister for Works that the light railway would be built but Taralga was overlooked when the train line was extended to Crookwell in 1901 instead.

In 1908, a deputation went to the Minister where the following proposal was presented. Locals had to travel 28 miles to Goulburn on a road totally unsuitable for heavy traffic to market produce. Taralga was one of the richest pieces of agricultural land in NSW and couldn't sell to the Sydney Markets unless prices were high without the establishment of the light rail. In 1913, the resolution was finally passed that Taralga warranted railway communication and that although a deficit was envisaged, after construction, a profit would be made. The proposed route would see the train travelling from Goulburn to Roslyn and then to Taralga. The bill though, wasn't gazetted until 1924. (World War 1 was the reason for the delay.)

Work on the line was commenced towards the end of 1924 and was nearing completion in May, 1925. A special train from Taralga to Goulburn carrying 200 passengers , traveled the line on 19 September, 1925.

The line was officially opened by Sir George Fuller on 23 February, 1926. Ironically, he had arrived by car. Around 1000 people witnessed this big occasion. No Ministers attended the event because it was not considered safe for them to leave the city.

Over the next 3 years, losses mounted and the timetable was changed to operate only on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Traffic continued to dwindle and the line was finally closed on 1 May, 1957 and tracks removed in 1959.

More detailed information including pictures, timetables etc are available to view at the Taralga Historical Society Museum.


28 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Taralga's history

The first known visit by white men to the Taralga District was an expedition led by Charles Throsby in 1819 when he passed Burra Burra lake on his way to Campbell’s River from the Cowpastures. The fol