Saving the past for future generations
The Taralga Historical Society was started in September, 1972 to preserve the history of Taralga and its surrounding areas. The founding members were able to procure the Methodist Church to become their home and the place to display our history. Over time, the museum has grown to include:-
The Shearing shed and Blacksmith's shop. Displayed in this area are many items from the early days in both these trades. Sheep played a large part in the history of Taralga.
The Nissen Hut was built from two sheds donated to the Society by Goulburn Workers Club from the village of sheds that had housed immigrants in the 1950s. Two of the sheds were pulled down and re-erected in the Museum grounds to form one shed. The combined shed was opened on 11/11/2011 to display memorabilia from local men and women who served our country in conflicts since the start of World War 1.
The sandstone memorial was constructed in 1995 to commemorate the many young people of the district who died in tragic circumstances in the past 25 years since the formation of the Historical Society. The dedication Service was conducted by ministers from the three Churches in Taralga being the Anglican, Presbyterian and Catholic faiths.
The Bullock Wagon that is displayed in the grounds of the Museum. It was built in 1901 for Matthew Hillas of “Hillsmount” Bannaby to transport wool and other produce to and from Sydney. It was restored in 2003 in memory of Bannaby pioneers courtesy of Mr. Ernie Stephenson.
The Lych gate at the entrance to the museum grounds is in memory of Edwin and Gertrude Johns family who came to Myrtleville in the early 1900’s. Much of the machinery in the grounds of the museum was left to the society by their son, the late Aubrey Johns, including a very rare windmill.
The Rose garden was commenced in 1998, and contains sixty rose bushes donated by local families, organizations and members. The roses bound the “Alders Circle,” and the bird bath, in memory of the pioneering Alders Family. The archway at the entrance of the rose garden was erected by the Marmont family.
The mile pegs that marked the miles leading the six roads from Taralga to (1) Goulburn (2) Crookwell, (3) Golspie, (4) Oberon, (5) Wombeyan caves and (6) Bannaby.
Cordingley Cottage was built as our By-centennial project and was opened on the 2nd April 1988. The cottage was reconstructed from the original home on the Big Hill Property formally owned by Mr. Albert Bunter, then Miss Birdie Ayre and her sister Mrs. Ivy Cordingley.
Members of the Society dismantled the building and rebuilt it in the grounds of the Historical Society. It has been furnished in the colonial period as lived in by early Australian families by items donated to the Society.
The slab dairy has been built to commemorate the flourishing dairy industry in the era from the turn of the century until the 1950’s, at one time there were 168 dairy farms in the Taralga District. The last one to close was the one belonging to the Blay family at Myrtleville in 1996.